Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Cluck cluck cluck

Well, I finally got as far as Tallahassee. I wandered around, and found a Nunnehi village! Weirdest thing you ever saw- it's smack in the middle of the suburbs. Literally. There's houses all around, and then up atop this hill, there's this village. It's all mud brick and palmetto thatch, which is surprisingly cool in the steam bath that is the weather here.

This picture is of one of the villagers. She was just coming back from school (she attends FSU, apparently) and was headed to the kitchens to help with the cooking. It's a lovely picture- I like the way the posts line up, with her walking at the end of them.


This (as you could no doubt tell) is not one of the Nunnehi who live there, but is a local boggan woman. She took me home and offered to put me up for a few nights. She's from New Orleans originally, and hot damn, but that woman can cook. Her pulled pork is absolutely the ambrosia of the freakin' gods.

You see her here baiting the chickens. I'm not entirely sure why she was baiting the chickens, but it made for a nice photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home